The day began with an outline of the approach to be used in realising the success of the projects. This was led by the team leaders.
They identified the following tasks to be done for the day.
- Identification of objectives, targeted system beneficiaries and development challenges.
- Identify attributes that would define the success for our project.
- Identify the beneficiaries or end users of the project
- Identify the challenges that we expect to meet during our development.
Design and Coding
- Develop an intuitive web interface showing vegetation map, rainfall map, pastoralist distribution map and water surfaces map.
- Use the system to predict biomass production based on the inputs provided.
- Enable the system to send mobile phone SMS to intended system beneficiaries.
- System Beneficiaries: Who will be impacted by this project?
- Nomadic pastoralists
- Insurance agencies
- Conservancies and government agencies.
Acquisition of real time and accurate data sets.
After identifying the challenges that we would expect, we identified the data sets that will be required by our project.
We did this by listing all the major components of our system and the kind of data that they will require.
- Rangeland model for biomass prediction
This is the model used in calculating amount of biomass available for livestock consumption.
It is based on a dissertation by Prof. Bert Toxopeus (An Interactive Spatial and Temporal Modelling System as a tool in Ecosystem Management), 1996.
2. Pastoralist Information
Distribution map for the nomads, their name, mobile phone numbers, size of family, type and size of livestock kept.
3. Livestock Data
Type of livestock and biomass intake (Dry matter intake) per day.
4. Insurance agencies
Name, location and insurance products/policies.
5. Market Information
Animal name, price of animal product per Kg.
6. Map for routes/movement patterns for the nomads
- Web interface
This is portal containing the input and output maps.
It allow registration of pastoralists, traders and insurance agencies.
Daily market information can be logged through the portal.
The portal also send alert messages to the nomads based on the predictions of rangeland sustainability. It also send SMS to nomads on market information.
After identifying the system’s components and the data they require, we then embarked on serious data acquisition for our proposed case study.
We managed to acquire and process the following data sets for
- Vegetation map for our case study. (map)
- Rainfall map and other water surfaces maps. (map)
- Rainfall effectivity factor map which shows amount of rainfall retained for vegetation growth. (map)
- Biomass intake for livestock. (table)
Coding: In progress…..